Thursday, March 5, 2009

SWISS STEAK!!

If you are looking for an easy meal you can throw in the crockpot this is for you. We love this recipe and it comes from my husbands side of the family. We usually make this on Sunday so it can cook while we are at church and then it is done by the time we get home and cook the mashed potatoes for it to go over.

SWISS STEAK

8 cube steaks~can find these at any grocery store by all of the other cuts of beef/steaks
3-4 (10 1/2 oz)cans cream of celery soup
3-4 cans of water~use one of the soup cans to measure
1/2-1 onion chopped
Salt, pepper, and grill seasoning to sprinkle on each cube steak before browning it

Sprinkle each steak with a generous amount of grill seasoning, salt and pepper. In a large skillet over high to medium high heat brown steak on each side. Like this:

While the steak is browning Mix the soup, water and onion in a crockpot. When each steak is browned add it to the crockpot. After the last steak is browned, add a little water to the pan and with a wooden spoon scrap up the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and pour the bits and water into the crockpot. Like this:

The brown bits and the water used to scrap them up is what gives the gravy its color. Then place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes with a lettuce salad and homemade rolls!! Yum Yum !

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds terrific. The meat looks so tender and juicy. I love the crockpot. I'll have to try this one.

Elly May said...

OOO I almost forgot about swiss steak. I love that meal of yours. Might have to do it on Sunday.

Sara said...

Yum, I love anything that involves steak. I think my husband would like this one too!

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

Jessie...Tried this Monday night and the family LOVED it! I only cooked it for 3 hrs. in the crockpot and it was still a little tough, so next time I'll cook it longer...thanks for sharing!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I'm trying this tonight. I've already got the ingredients in the crock pot and it is smelling delicious. Can't wait till it's done.

Anonymous said...

Would like to try