Monday, April 23, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Bread

So I need to begin by saying this bread is divine especially as toast. I have always loved me some cinnamon swirl bread but it is so expensive in the stores for a tiny little loaf so about a year and a half ago I went on the hunt for a good homemade recipe. I never found one that I totally loved so I decided to creat my own and add pumpkin to it another one of my favorite things. Now who doesn't love pumpkin with cinnamon I mean come on. If you are the bread making kind of person I highly encourage you to give this bread a try. The recipe makes 6 loaves. I usually make all 6 and freeze half of them so we can have it when we want but you are more than welcome to scale down the recipe for your needs.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirl Bread
 1 1/2 cup warm water
 1 1/2 cup warm milk(I used whole but I am sure any would work)
 3 T. yeast
1 T. sugar
 4 eggs,room temp
 2/3 cup canola oil(or vegetable)
 1 1/3 cup brown suga
r 2 2/3 cup pumpkin
 2 tsp salt
 3/4 tsp ginger
 3/4 tsp nutmeg
 1 T. cinnamon
 1 c. raisins or craisins(optional I have made with both)
 1/2 c. ground flax seeds
 13-15 cups flour(I used half white and half whole wheat)
 Filling:
 1/2-1 cup butter, softened(just use how much you like. sometimes I use the whole cup sometimes less)
 1- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
 4-5 T. cinnamon
 In a large bowl or bowl of your mixer, place the warm water and milk yeast and sugar. Mix and let stand for about 10 minutes until mixture is foamy and yeast dissolved and activated. Next add the eggs, oil, brown sugar, pumpkin, salt, ginger, nutmeg, 1 T. cinnamon, flax seeds, and half of the flour and mix until well combined. Continue mixing in the rest of the flour until you have a soft, pliable dough but not a sticky dough. HOw much flour you add depends on the humidity and altitude you are at. I always add more flour because I live in a humid place. Add in the craisins or raisins if using. Dump dough out and knead by hand a few times. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a cloth and let raise till doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down and divide into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a rectangle, spread some butter over all the surface, sprinkle with desired amount of brown sugar and cinnamon, then roll up jelly roll style and form a loaf and place in a greased bread pan. Repeat with remaining 5 pieces. YOu may use more or less amounts of the filling ingredients depending on your preference but we tend to like a lot of filling in ours. Cover the loafs and let raise till doubled in size again, take about 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how warm your home is. Place in a 350 degree oven and cook for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Serve with butter Yummm!!!!!!!

No comments: