Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Burritos and Spanish Rice

I know that I have posted my beans and rice recipes before but it was one of the first I posted so I wanted to repost them. We love love love burritos in this house especially because my hubby grew up in Mexico. We make these at least once a week and beans are so good for you. I got these recipes from My hubby's families maid~she is a little old mexican lady. She taught me how to make a lot of mexican food and now I can't ever eat out mexican because nothing in the states is authentic. I can make it better at home. After trying these beans you will no longer be able to eat a can of refried beans again.

The pic is kind of dark sorry. This was one of the kids plates. They only like cheese and sour cream in their burritos. We like to put guacamole, salsa, pico de gayo, and fresh lime juice on ours. YOu can put any topping you would like.

Refried Pinto Beans
2-3 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed
6-8 cups water
2 tsp. salt~you may need to add more later
1 tomato diced
2 jalapeno's diced
1 onion, diced
1 T. minced garlic

Place all in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until the beans are soft. (I know this is a broad time to give you but my beans cook in about 4 hours and my friend when she does it in her crockpot it takes 6 hours to get them soft)When beans are tender pour most of the liquid off the beans. Leave a little bit of liquid, then mash the beans to your desired consistency. I use and immersion blender to do this but you can use a potato masher or the back of a large spoon.

These are what they look like when mashed. Place in a tortilla with your desired toppings and roll up:


Spanish Rice:
2 cups uncooked rice
1 onion, chopped
2 T. garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil
1-15 oz can diced tomatoes~I prefer petite diced for this
3 heaping tsp. chili powder
3 heaping tsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 cups water

Heat The oil in a large pot. Add the rice, onion, and garic and saute for 5 minutes. Then add all the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Serve with burritos or any other mexian dish!!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

We LOVE mexican food too and eat it at least once or twice a week! I agree that it's so hard to find authentic mexican food in the states. Where do you get your tortillas? I used to make mine all the time but don't seem to have enough time these days. So if you know of a place to buy some good ones, please let me know!

Desta said...

These beans really are the best. We just made them on Sunday. My crockpot takes about six hours as well. And I just use my hand mixer to do the mashing.

Nonnas News said...

Jessie, thanks for visiting my recipe blog! You have some great looking recipes too! Im gonna add you to my recipe blog roll. I also have a private blog, if you would like an invitation to it just send me an email to iluvmynonna@yahoo.com and I'll send you an invitation!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, does this ever look good. I just discovered your blog, lots of good stuff here. This meal is right up my alley. I'll have to give it a shot!

Elicia said...

I will testify that these recipes are the tastiest you will find! We totally love them at our place. Thanks Jess!!

Sara said...

I just love burritos, and of course you can't go wrong with spanish rice!

Shauna said...

YUM!

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

Hey Jessie! I made both last night and they were a HUGE hit!! Thanks for posting all these terrific and very yummy recipes, I can't wait to try more of them!

~Alyson