Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars

Oh my where do I begin with these yummy bars.... The picture just doesn't do them justice. I am so sorry I am not a photographer but take my word for it these are so yummy and might I add so easy. If you need a yummy treat to take to a bbq, church activity, or party take these believe me they will be gone in no time. I found the recipe for these babies over at Our Best Bites.

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups caramels(1-14 oz bag kraft caramels or 2 cups homemade caramel)
1-3 T. cream(1 T. for store bought caramel and 2-3 for homemade or firmer caramels)
2 pkgs(11 oz bags) mini Reeses Peanut butter cups

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. Mix the butter, sugar, flour and vanilla until it comes together and forms a soft dough. Press into prepared pan. Prick with a fork and bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is lightly golden. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Combine the caramels and cream and heat for 3-4 minutes, stiring each minute, until they are melted and smooth. Spread evenly over the cookie crust. Then place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 30-60 minutes or until the caramels are solid.

In a microwave safe bowl melt the reeses peanut butter cups until smooth and melted, stirring every 45 seconds or so. Spread over cooled caramel and place in the fridge until chocolate is solid. Cut into squares and enjoy!!!!!
If you do happen to have leftovers they keep better in the fridge or a cool area.

1 comment:

Tessa said...

I always see these but never seem to remember them when it comes time to pick out a recipe. Yours look great. I love the thickness of your caramel layer :)