Sunday, May 22, 2011

Baked Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal

So I have seen a lot of recipes for baked oatmeal and have really been wanting to try it so this weekend I did. Man am I ever happy that I did. This stuff was awesome!!!! I eat homemade granola every morning for breakfast but I believe this wonderful stuff will be making it into the rotation as a healthy hearty breakfast. My kids gobbled this up as well. Like I said I have found many recipes for this but I didn't really like everything in the recipes I found so I tailored this to my family's taste. Plus a lot of them had a whole stick of butter in them and I just thought that defeated the purpose of healthy oatmeal, granted I love me some butter and bad things for me(just look at my dessert list) but not for breakfast unless it is a special occasion. Anywho, give this recipe a try you will not regret it!!!
Baked Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal
3 T. melted butter
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats(not quick cooking)
1/2 cup whole or milled flax seeds
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp maple flavoring( I think next time I will do 2 or maybe even a Tablespoon)
1 1/2 cup milk(any kind will work even soy or almond I used 1 percent because that is what I had)
1 cup fruit or nuts ( I used chopped almonds)

In a bowl mix together the butter, honey, eggs, and pumpkin. Add the oats, flax seeds, baking powder, salt, cinnamon,maple flavoring, and milk. Mix well and then fold in the fruit or nuts. Bake in a greased 8x8 or 8x 11 inch pan at 350 degress for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with more milk, fruit, brown sugar, or honey!!!

Right out of the oven!!! So yummy believe me. We ate ours with more milk!! I baked in a 8x11 inch pan a 9x9 inch would also work well.

No comments: