Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries

I am one of those people who has never jumped on the sweet potato wagon. I have never cared much for them and all their goodness for you until I found this recipe. Granted my family and I are still your white potato kind of people. This recipe allows me to rotate these good for you orange potato into our dinner menu. If you have not tried a sweet potato or don't care much for them try this recipe out and it may just change your mind. I found this recipe over at Mel's kitchen. Once again my picture doesn't do them justice but Mel's picture does so if you aren't convinced by my pic take a look at hers Here.


Sweet Potato Fries
3 large sweet potatoes
3 T. olive oil
1 T. sugar
1 T. Kosher salt
1 tsp, chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel the potatoes and cut them into strips or wedges all about the same size, so they all cook evenly. Place the potato strips/wedges into a ziploc bag or bowl. Toss the potatoes with the oil. Add the seasonings and mix till well coated. Divide the potatoes between two baking sheets so they are all in a single layer. Bake the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they are tender and well browned. I usually cook mine longer and broil them at the end to make them a little bit crispier. Just be careful and watch them cause they can burn easily if not watched near the end.

2 comments:

Lara said...

I love sweet potatoes, but every attempt I've ever made at making sweet potato fries has turned out disastrous! I'll definitely have to try this version!

Jinny and Mick said...

Oh I do love sweet potato fries! I'll have to try this one. I learned if you blanche them for just a few minutes before you season and bake them-they will be more crispy, too.