Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

I am back!!! Sorry it has been so long. I am finally starting to feel better and getting back into the kitchen. We found out we are having another boy last week and we are so excited!!. I am halfway through the pregnancy now which is a great feeling other than gaining weight!!!(that is my least favorite part) Anyway, growing up my mom always made meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. I have to say I love both of these things. If you love scalloped potatoes you should give these a try you will not be dissappointed. The recipe comes from my mom and the only thing I changed was I added cheese to them as well.


Scalloped Potatoes (double if making for more than 5 people and put in 9x13 pan)
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes(I use my box grater to do this)
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 of an onion chopped
1-2 cups cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350. Melt the 3 T. butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper and cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly. Cook for about 1 minute so you cook out the flour taste. Whisk in the milk, turn up the heat, bring to a boil and cook while stirring until thick(about 1 minute) Making two layers. Layer the potatoes in a 9x9 or 8x8 pan then a layer of the sauce,1 cup cheese and half of the onion, and sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper. Repeat that layer using the rest of potatoes, sauce, onion and cheese. Cover and bake for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 60 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender. Let stand 5-10 minutes than enjoy.


They take a while to cook but they are well worth it believe me!!! We had mini meatloaves and fresh corn on the cob with them!!!

2 comments:

Tami said...

This screams comfort food! YUM!! I will be making these potatoes very soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Congratulations on the news of your baby boy!!

Stacy said...

These look divine! Congrats on the little boy news. We just found out we're having a little girl. (I'm almost 22 weeks).