Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Magic Cake Bars

I know a lot of you have had chocolate chip toffee bars or some form of them with the graham cracker crust or the flour sugar crust with the sweetened condensed milk. Well I found this variation over at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures and knew I had to try them out. She used a chocolate cake mix and I started making them and realized I was all out of cake mixes. I had a brownie mix which I do not use very often (only for food storage)because we love homemade better so I thought it would be good for this recipe. It did not disappoint. These were really yummy. I would have to say just as good as the original ones. Give these a try using a cake mix or a brownie mix.

Magic Cake Bars adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures
1 pkg of chocolate cake mix or a 9x13 brownie mix
1 cup butter (Lynn used 1/2 cup-you decide)but using the brownie mix I felt it needed more butter
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
2 (14 oz cans) sweetened condensed milk

Place cake mix in a bowl and cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Press into a large cookie sheet or a 15x10 jelly roll type pan. Sprinkle with the chips, coconut, and nuts. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes and then cut into bars.

So yummy My kids who don't ususally like coconut and nuts in things loved them!!!

2 comments:

Lara said...

Wow oh wow, these look amazing!

Unknown said...

YUM! Hand over the pan, along with a fork. That's all I would need. (ok, maybe a glass of milk or a cup of coffee, too!)