Thursday, November 20, 2008

Divine Breadsticks


Don't those just look so yummy? We love bread around here. We had these breadsticks with the pasta in my previous post. All my family really liked these and they are super simple and easy. I got this recipe off of www.mmmcafe.blogspot.com . Who got the recipe from Melanie Gunnel. I just want to make sure I give credit where credit is due. I don't want to take credit for a recipe that someone else created!! Anyway, you must try these!!

PS. don't mind the ugly breadsticks~they aren't quite the same size or even. This was the first time I ever made them so you see I need some practice twisting them!!

Divine Breadsticks
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 T. instant yeast
2 T. sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 T. butter, melted

Mix the instant yeast with 1 cup flour and set aside. Meanwhile, mix the water, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour until well mixed. Add the yeast and flour mixture and mix for two minutes. Add the rest of the flour and mix until smooth. Knead on a floured surface for about 3 minutes. Then roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick and cut into about 1-2 inch strips. Place 2 T. melted butter on a cookie sheet and make sure it is spread all around. Then twist two strips of dough together and place on the cookie sheet. Continue with all the rest the same way. Place fairly close together. Brush the remaining melted butter over each twisted breadstick. Sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. Cover let raise for 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Chef's note: I used 4 T. butter~2 on the cookie sheet and 2 to rub the breadsticks with and I used 1/2 tsp salt not 1/4. But you can do whichever on you like!! Oh I also sprinkled a little parsley all over the top as well with the parm cheese and garlic salt because I thought it made them look prettier!!

1 comment:

Elly May said...

Yum those look good. Might have to try them when I feel like doing bread.