Wednesday, November 30, 2011

30 minute Baguette Bread(or a little bit longer)

Wow is about all I can say about this bread. When I saw the recipe and noticed you only had to raise the bread once and for only 30 minutes I was suprised. I have tried breads that don't raise much and they were hard little rocks and I was very disappointed. I decided I had better try this bread out. Let me tell you it was awesome. Not only is it fast but it tasted fantastic as well and don't even get me started on toasting it the next day and slathering it with butter. If you are in need of a quick bread recipe to serve with soup or with pasta and don't have time for a lengthy rising process than give this bread a try. And it is so much cheaper than picking up a loaf at the local super market. Now don't get me wrong I love breads that take hours to make but this is great addition to a fast weeknight meal.And the ingredients everyone should always have on hand in their pantry's.

Baguette Bread(makes 2 loaves)
2 cups very warm water
1 T. yeast
2 T. honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour(may need a little more I always add a little more)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.In the bowl of your mixer combine the water, yeast, and honey. Give it a quick little stir and let set for 10 minutes or until the yeast is bubbly. Turn the mixer on and add the salt and 2 cups flour. Mix for 2 minutes. Add 2 more cups of flour and mix. Kneed the dough in the mixer for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Remove the dough from the mixer and knead by hand a few times, adding a little bit of flour if it is to sticky. The dough should be soft and tacky but not sticky!!! Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece into a 12 inch rope. Twist two of the pieces together, pinching the ends to secure. Repeat with remaining two pieces. Place both twists on a large greased cookie sheet. Cover with towel and let raise for 30 minutes. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes(mine takes 20 min) Brush each loaf with butter about 2 minutes before done. Finish baking. The butter helps the top crust turn brown.

Note: you can substitute instant yeast for the active dry yeast just add it in with the flour. I have used both kinds and works great with each

Note: I have also used half white whole wheat flour and all purpose flour and it turned out great!! I haven't tried all wheat yet but if you do I recommend using white whole wheat flour.

1 comment:

elidapope said...

I needed some quick bread to have with our soup tonight. I found this one and I knew I had to try it. It came out perfect! Thanks!