Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Luscious Lemon Bars

The other night my hubby and I felt like having Lemon Bars so I rummage through my recipes and decided on the recipe in my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I have made quite a few lemon bars recipes over the years but have never found the One until now. This will be my go to recipe for now on. They were perfect-gooey and lemony just how we like them around here and the crust was awesome!! IT is a bit thicker of a crust than other recipes and I was worried about that but it turned out great and my hubby and I both really enjoyed them!! So did the kids but lets just say my hubby and I ate half the pan in one sitting!!! If you are craving something lemony give these babies a try!!!
Luscious Lemon Bars

2 cups flour (i actually used white whole wheat)
1/2 powdered sugar
2 T Cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter(no substitutions)
4 large eggs slightly beaten
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 T. flour
3/4 -1 cup lemon or lime juice (I used the juice of 3 large limes and the rest bottled lemon juice)
1/4 cup half n half, cream, or milk(don't leave out adds to the creaminess
Powdered sugar for dusting

In a large bowl, mix the flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt together. Cut in the softened butter with pastry blender or knife or until resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a 9x13 greased pan and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until the edges turn golden.

Meanwhile for the filling, beat the eggs then add the sugar, 3 T. flour, lemon juice, and cream. Mix well and pour over the hot crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is set. Cool and then sift Powdered sugar over the top. Cut into bars. Cover and store in refrigerator.

Note: I baked mine for 20 minutes and they were still gooey just how a lemon bar should be but if you like them more firm then cook a tad bit longer!!!

Note: the recipe calls for 3/4 cup lemon juice but I added almost a full cup and it was perfect for us.


No comments: