Friday, October 29, 2010

Butternut Squash Bread

So if you all think that squash bread sounds to healthy and disgusting don't!! When I first saw this recipe I thought it sounded interesting but decided to try it anyway. We had it with Chicken and wild Rice soup and it was so amazing!! My kids even gobbled it up. I must confess I made it with half pumpkin and half natural applesauce(no sugar added) because I thought I had squash and didn't and then I thought I had enough pumpkin and didn't so had to use some applesauce. But I really think it would be just as good with the squash I mean lets face it pumpkin is pretty much categorized as a squash isn't it?!!!! Give this healthy bread a try you won't regret it. Especially yummy warm with a little bit of butter!!!

Butternut Squash Bread(or Pumpkin)
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour(i use white whole wheat)
1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1/4 cup browned butter(melt the butter in a skillet over low-medium heat until browned)
1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup butternut squash puree* (or 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin and 1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix the browned butter and the agave or honey. Mix in eggs until well blended, about 1 minute. Mix in squash puree or the pumpkin and the vanilla until thoroughly combined. Slowly add in all the dry ingredients until just mixed, Do not over mix. Pour in prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with a little bit of butter and a bowl of soup.
*to make squash puree: halve and clean squash. brush with olive oil. Place squash (cut side up) on a lined baking sheet and roast at 425 until fork tender, about 30-45 minutes. Squash will easily scoop right out of skin when it is done roasting. Place in food processor or blender and puree till smooth.

Seriously so tasty. Must give it a try. The bread is great without butter as well. I am not one that usually slathers my breads with butter. I like them with nothing on them but I really liked this with the butter.

No comments: